Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Music

Music is the divine way to tell beautiful, poetic things to the heart.
- Pablo Casals
Music is everybody's possession. Only publishers think that people own it.
- John Lennon
Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
- Maya Angelou
Where words fail, music speaks.
- Hans Christian Andersen (1805-1875)
All the sounds of the earth are like music.
- Oscar Hammerstein (1895-1960)
Music creates order out of chaos: for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous.
- Yehudi Menuhin
It had never occurred to me before that music and thinking are so much alike. In fact you could say music is another way of thinking, or maybe thinking is another kind of music.
- Ursula K. Le Guin
In music one must think with the heart and feel with the brain.
- George Szell
. . . I improvised, crazed by the music. . . . Even my teeth and eyes burned with fever. Each time I leaped I seemed to touch the sky and when I regained earth it seemed to be mine alone.
- Josephine Baker
Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
- Pat Conroy
The truest expression of a people is in its dances and its music ...Bodies never lie...
- Agnes De Mile
"And these .. these phrases you keep speaking in. They don't make any sense." "Ah, you seek meaning?" "Yes." "Then listen to the music, not the song."
- Kosh and Talia Winters in Babylon 5:"Deathwalker"
Music — The one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend.
- Ludwig van Beethoven
Music is a higher revelation than philosophy.
- Ludwig van Beethoven
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life.
- Ludwig van Beethoven
Give me a laundry list and I'll set it to music.
- Gioacchini Antonio Rossini
Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung.
- Voltaire
I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to.
- Elvis Presley
A musicologist is a man who can read music but can't hear it.
- Sir Thomas Beecham
The whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking, 'Is there a meaning to music?' My answer would be, 'Yes.' And 'Can you state in so many words what the meaning is?' My answer to that would be, 'No.'
-Aaron Copland
What passions cannot music raise or quell?
-John Driden
An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger.
-Dan Rather
I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?
-Frank Zappa (in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people or influences their behavior in general)
Music, the greatest good that mortals know and all of heaven we have hear below.
- Joseph Addison
The soul of music slumbers in the shell. Till waked and kindled by the master's spell; And feeling hearts, touch them but rightly, pour A thousand melodies unheard before!
- Samuel Rogers
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.
- Victor Hugo
Yes; as the music changes, Like a prismatic glass; It takes the light and ranges Through all the moods that pass.
- Alfred Noyes
If music be the food of love, play on.
- Shakespeare, Twelfth Night
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach
"I don't know anything about music. In my line you don't have to."
- Elvis Presley (1935-1977)
"There is nothing stable in the world; uproar's your only music."
- John Keats
"There is always music amongst the trees in the garden, but our hearts must be very quiet to hear it."
- M. Aumonier
"Look at the stars sometimes. They are only notes They are music."
- Pat Conroy
"Great art is as irrational as great music. It is mad with its own loveliness."
- George Jean Nathan
"Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought."
- E.Y. Harbug (1898 - 1981)
"Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together."
- Anais Nin
"Music that gentlier on the spirit lies Than tired eyelids upon tired eyes."
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson
"The Mandolin is the bottom four strings of the guitar, backwards...so a person with dyslexia has no problem learning to play the Mandolin."
- Steve Goodman
"It seems to me that those songs that have been any good, I have nothing much to do with the writing of them. The words have just crawled down my sleeve and come out on the page."
- Joan Baez
"Love is like a violin. The music may stop now and then, but the strings remain forever."
- June Masters Bacher
"Without music, life is a journey through a desert"
- Pat Conroy
"Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?"
- John Cusack (Rob Gordon) High Fidelity
"Music creates order out of chaos: for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous."
- Yehudi Menuhin
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinskey
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'"
- Bob Newhart
"Approach your guitar intelligently, and if there are limits, don't deny them. Work within your restrictions. Somethings you can do better than others, some things you can't do as well. So accentuate the positive."
- Chet Atkins (June 20, 1924 - June 30, 2001) Mister Guitar in Zen Guitar
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
- Chet Atkins (June 20, 1924 - June 30, 2001) Mister Guitar in Zen Guitar
"It is only by introducing the young to great literature, drama and music, and to the excitement of great science that we open to them the possibilities that lie within the human spirit -- enable them to see visions and dream dreams."
- Eric Anderson
"I been doing the same things as in my younger days, when I was coming up, and now here I am, an old man, up there in the charts. And I say, well, what happened? Have they just thought up the real John Lee Hooker, is that it? And I think, well, I won't tell nobody else! I can't help but wonder what happened."
- John Lee Hooker (1917-2001)
"I improvised, crazed by the music. . . . Even my teeth and eyes burned with fever. Each time I leaped I seemed to touch the sky and when I regained earth it seemed to be mine alone."
- Josephine Baker (1906-1975) French dancer
"The trouble with real life is that there's no danger music."
- Unknown
"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself."
- J.S. Bach
"Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us."
- Unknown
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer (01/14/1875-1965)
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
- Victor Hugo
"Where words fail, music speaks."
- Hans Christian Andersen (1805-1875) Danish short-story writer, poet
"Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness."
- Maya Angelou
"All the sounds of the earth are like music."
- Oscar Hammerstein (1895-1960)
"It had never occurred to me before that music and thinking are so much alike. In fact you could say music is another way of thinking, or maybe thinking is another kind of music."
- Ursula K. Le Guin
"In music one must think with the heart and feel with the brain."
- George Szell

"Music has charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

-William Congreve

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music while the music lasts."

-Thomas Eliot

 

"Music must take rank as the highest of the fine arts -- as the one which, more than any other, ministers to human welfare."

-Herbert Spencer  

"This music crept by me upon the waters, allaying both their fury, and my passion, with its sweet air."

-William Shakespeare

"How sour sweet music is when time is broke and no proportion kept! So is it in the music of men's lives."

-William Shakespeare

"Music is good to the melancholy, bad to those who mourn, and neither good nor bad to the deaf."

-Benedict Spinoza

"The music in my heart I bore long after it was heard no more."

-William Wordsworth

 

"One good thing about music...when it hits you feel no pain...so hit me with music"

-BOB MARLEY

"Music is the universal language of mankind -- poetry their universal pastime and delight."

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


A musicologist is a man who can read music but can't hear it.
     - Sir Thomas Beecham

The whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking,
'Is there a meaning to music?' My answer would be, 'Yes.'
And 'Can you state in so many words what the meaning is?'
My answer to that would be, 'No.'
               -Aaron Copland

What passions cannot music raise or quell?
               -John Driden


Music, the greatest good that mortals know and all of heaven we have
hear below.
        - Joseph Addison

The soul of music slumbers in the shell
Till waked and kindled by the master's spell;
And feeling hearts, touch them but rightly, pour
A thousand melodies unheard before!
        - Samuel Rogers

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is
impossible to be silent.
        - Victor Hugo

Yes; as the music changes, Like a prismatic glass; It takes the light
and ranges Through all the moods that pass.
        - Alfred Noyes

If music be the food of love, play on.
        - Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

        - Berthold Auerbach

No comments: